What is a buyer? Who is a buyer? What do they do? A buyer sounds like a pretty cool position to have (and it really is!), but it’s one of those jobs that most people know very little about…until now.
Let’s start with ‘What is a buyer?’ A buyer is a person who either owns, or is employed by, a retail business and who travels to various trade shows, or markets to buy merchandise for the retail stores.
Now, who is a buyer? At Pineridge Hollow, we have a few different people who travel to the shows, depending on what show it is. For example, Katrina (Vice President) and Bethany (Store Manager) travel to the clothing shows to discover upcoming trends to stock in Lavish @ Pineridge Hollow; and Jan (President), Katrina, and Kathryn (Furniture Sales Manager) recently travelled to High Point, North Carolina for a furniture market.
Kathryn & Katrina testing out some seating options at LEE Industries
The High Point Market is the largest home furnishings trade show in the world — yes, the world. What does that really mean, though? It means that around 80,000 buyers from over 100 countries go to High Point Market to browse over 2000 exhibitors spread out over 10 million square feet, in 180 buildings. Yes, whoa. Imagine being in a really, really big mall but instead of little stores, there is room after room of thousands of area rugs, lighting, furniture, and close to anything else you could possibly imagine. While that sounds like a lot, we don’t visit every exhibitor or every building; that would be almost impossible. Usually a plan will be made ahead of time: appointments with current suppliers will be made so we can see their new offerings, and maps will be plotted to make sure we see new suppliers and products we’re interested in and think our guests will love. It’s also not uncommon for us to accidentally discover a great new product line while on the way to somewhere else! We always have to be ‘on’, even when our eyes are starting to cross from all the sights and sounds of a busy market.
A rainbow of colour seen at the Bramble showroom
Rifle rugs and cheese boards to nibble on? Yes please, to both!
We buy product right off the delivery trucks!
Did you know?
- The Pineridge Hollow team attends 4 trade shows a year, in Toronto, North Carolina, Edmonton, and Atlanta. We can spend anywhere from 2-5 days at a show.
- We shop for next year’ Christmas product in January. That means we have to be thinking about Christmas from around Oct 31 to January 31. We LOVE Christmas, but it’s a lot sometimes…like, a lot lot.
- If you are looking for something specific that you’ve been unable to find elsewhere, talk to us in-store and we will make note to keep our eyes peeled for it on our travels!
I think we found a match for a customers paint colour!
That feeling when it all comes together…swoooon!
- We sometimes have celebrity sightings! We might see TV hosts, celebrities who have launched a product line, or people who have turned their small idea into a big ‘ol successful dream and now design items that we LOVE and carry in-store.
- Some exhibitors offer wine and cocktails while you shop with them. Need we say more?
- We would guess that we walk over 10k a day while at a show. Comfortable shoes are a must.
- One of the most difficult parts of being a buyer for Pineridge Hollow is putting our own tastes and styles aside sometimes. We love that our guests have such unique style and tastes, but sometimes those tastes are not our own – and that’s ok! We have to shop with an open mind, thinking about not only what lines will fit into our store, but also what lines you will love. Sometimes we get it right, and sometimes we get it wrong (and that’s what clearance sales are for 😉 )
We are so excited to show you what we’ve found at the High Point Market – we hope to see you soon!
Amity Home never fails to impress! We wanted to curl up in that bed, but we didn’t want to have security called on us…again…just joking…or are we?… ☺