In 1992 Jan Regehr opened Pineridge Hollow, a 1920's log home converted into a country gift shop on Vernon road (1.5 miles from our current location).
As the number of guests visiting Pineridge Hollow grew, Jan knew she wanted to welcome them with
her deep rooted love of hospitality and a home cooked meal. Thus, the teahouse
opened, serving light lunches, homemade scones and cinnamon buns.
Four years later the carriage house was built to move the baking out of Jan’s house and to have a place to do workshops. The rest of this building was going to be a barn and garage for personal use.
In 1998, Jan realized that she needed to close or move the business due to an overwhelming response from guests. Originally, Winnipeg Hydro quoted $50,000 to lift the hydro lines required to move the building just the short 1.5 mile stretch. Initially, this was enough to stop the plans but the fates aligned when Winnipeg Hydro was doing a project that required them to divert the power from those major power lines. This allowed us to move the carriage house to our existing site on June 9th, 1999. Hydro told Jan that this (diverting the power) had never been done before and probably never would again. Yes, we believe in miracles… When the building was moved there was nothing more than a few small cracks. It was the largest building the mover had ever relocated.
Since the big move, the original carriage house has seen a number of renovations and expansions - including the addition of the furniture showroom, enclosing the porch and adding the restaurant patio.
This year we will see our biggest renovation project yet with the addition of The Village at Pineridge Hollow.